Become an Artist-in-Resident
For 60 years, artists have been advancing their careers at Clay Art Center. Our Residency program, which commences each year in September, is uniquely designed for emerging artists who need time and space to develop their voices.
Residents gain invaluable experience working in a community environment, teaching classes, sharing their technical knowledge and expertise, and managing many jobs around the studio.
Clay Art Center provides a supportive ceramic community, while appreciating the need for privacy and independent work.
- One year program commencing each September
- Private 10' x 10' studio space
- Free firing
- Monthly stipend for materials ($300/mo for artists in residence)
- Paid on-site teaching opportunities
- Exhibition in gallery at end of program
- One year commitment
- Residents must assist with studio maintenance (approximately 10 to 15 hours per week mixing glaze, pugging clay, and firing student work).
- Before the end of the residency, we ask that the residents work together to create approximately 200 small artworks for our annual fundraiser in October
- Living space is not provided
- Applications are due by April 1
- All applicants must be U.S. citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents
- BFA or MFA highly recommended
How to Apply
Applications must be received by April 1. Include the following in your application packet
- Application form
- Application agreement
- Statement of Interest
- Artist’s Statement
- 10 digital images of work completed during the last 2 years (images must be 6” largest side at 300dpi max).
- 2 professional references: provide name and contact info, and note your relationship with each
- Please take care to label each image and document with your name.
Please email all items to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 1. Please put “CAC Residency Application” in the subject line.
It is the policy of Clay Art Center to provide equal opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual preference, age, or disability.
All applications are reviewed by our Residency Committee. The selection process is based upon the strength of your application. Spaces in the program are made available as current residents reach their term limit or leave the program. The number of spots available is not known until the time of application review. All applicants will be notified by May 1st. The residency will begin on September 1st.